We offer low voltage (LV) and high voltage (HV) cable testing according to manufacturers’ requirements, verifying their product in conformance with the relevant standards.
kA’s Cable Testing Capabilities
BS EN 50395:2005+A1:2011 Electrical test methods for low voltage energy cables
- Voltage tests on completed cable, including immersion in water (Sub-clause 6).
- Voltage tests on cores in water (sub-clause 7).
- Insulation resistance for cables having maximum conductor temperatures not exceeding 90°C (sub-clause 8.1).
- Long term resistance of insulation to d.c. (sub-clause 9)
- Check for absence of faults in insulation – Voltage test (sub-clause 10.3)
BS EN 60228:2005 / IEC 60228:2004 Conductors of insulated cables
- Construction (sub-clauses 5.1.1, 5.2.1, 5.3.1 and 6.1).
- Resistance (sub-clauses 5.1.2, 5.2.2, 5.3.2 and 6.2).
In addition to the above we are also experienced in carrying out partial discharge (PD) testing of HV cables to IEC 60270:2000 / BS EN 60270:2001. This includes testing of cable splices or joints.
Relevant Product Standards
We can carry out a wide range of testing to cable product standards including, but not limited to, those listed below.
IEC 60502-1:2004 Power cables with extruded insulation and their accessories for rated voltages of 1kV and 3kV
IEC 60502-2:2014 Power cables with extruded insulation and their accessories for rated voltages of 6kV up to 30kV
BS EN 50525-1:2011 Electric cables – Low voltage energy cables of rated voltages up to and including 450/750V (U0/U). General requirements
BS EN 50525-2:2014 Electric cables – Low voltage energy cables of rated voltages up to and including 450/750V (U0/U). Specific guidance related to EN 50525 cable types