Salt spray (or salt fog) testing is carried out on products, materials and coatings to assess their resistance to corrosion.
Test items are placed into a chamber which creates a corrosive atmosphere.
Testing programmes can be with a continuous spray or on a cyclical basis.
It is an extremely reliable method of proving surface coatings such as powder coating or zinc plating.
The same test equipment can also be utilised to prove your products performance in a salt laden environment. This method is often required by the marine sector.
Corrosion testing is a combination of time spent in a salt spray chamber and a climatic chamber.
Salt spray testing standards
• BS EN IEC 60068-2-11 Salt Mist Testing
• IEC 60068-2-52 Salt Mist Cyclic Test – Test for components designed to withstand salt laden atmosphere depending on severity
• BS EN ISO 7253:2001/BS3900-F12:1997 Paints and varnishes determination of resistance to neutral salt spray fog
• EN501155:2001 Railway application salt test for electrical equipment to be used on rolling stock
• IEC 61701 Salt mist corrosion testing of photovoltaic (PV) modules
• ASTM B117 Normal corrosion resistance to ocean environments. Oldest and most widely used test 5% solution of NaCl
Contact us to discuss your requirement.